bounds checking in bitset.

Paolo Carlini pcarlini@suse.de
Sun Feb 5 10:33:00 GMT 2006

Jack Lloyd wrote:

>Unfortunately Bharat, while Stroustrup (which while a fine book, should not be
>confused with the actual standard) is quite clear on this particular case, what
>he wrote only reflects C++ as it was in the previous version of the standard,
>C++98. It appears that bitset has changed in an incompatible way in C++03,

Are you really, really sure the older standard, C++98, *explicitely*
mandated that different behavior? I don't think so. Have a closer look to:

    http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/lwg-defects.html#11

Anyway, the whole issue should be rather clear now. Only an additional
remark: if strong checks at run-time are wanted, for debugging purposes
or whatelse, debug mode is available, for bitset too.

Thanks,