sso tradeoffs

Howard Hinnant hhinnant@apple.com
Wed Nov 2 18:55:00 GMT 2005

On Nov 2, 2005, at 1:47 PM, Paolo Carlini wrote:

> Howard Hinnant wrote:
>

>> <shrug>  These are just my musings.  I know a lot of good and hard
>> work has been put into the current sso_string.h.  And I'm confident
>> that it will blow away the ref-counted design.  But here are some
>> further considerations...
>>

> Another preliminary thought: as you have noticed, this is a
> "versatile"
> string (nothing particularly sophisticated from that point of view,
> but,
> anyway...): this means that, irrespective of the opinions about your
> design, you are certainly welcome to constribute a new base class,
> which
> we can deliver in the next releases. You are also welcome to alter (a
> bit ;) the infrastructure to suit your needs. As far as I'm concrened,
> even having it as default for ext/vstring.h would not be such a big
> issue.
>
> Paolo.

<nod>  Thanks.  I should've previously included that I'm not
expecting someone else to rewrite or even modify sso_string.h.
Obviously some quality work and time has been put into it.  I'm in
the "bouncing ideas off the group" stage at this point.  If the group
comes back with a showstopper, I'll know not to spend further time on
this one.

-Howard