libstdc++-v3 check-abi Summary

Paolo Carlini pcarlini@suse.de
Fri May 20 08:55:00 GMT 2005

Hi Greg,

>This is only a minor point, but I've just noticed that we no longer see for
>example:
>

>                === libstdc++-v3 check-abi Summary ===
>
># of added symbols:              11
># of missing symbols:            0
># of incompatible symbols:       0
>

>in the test result summaries. I believe it happened as a result of this
>change:
>
>  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2005-04/msg00084.html
>
>which was backported to the 3.4 branch recently.
>
>Of course, there should be an indication in the summary if the check fails
>completely. Note also that the numbers do appear within the testsuite log.
>So...

Good point: I dislike like you this specific change, which forces me to
go to the log in order to see that result, noticed many times during the
last days. I'm afraid cannot be easily fixed in the new framework, which
allows regtesting without the build directory, but want to investigate
the issue further.

>Do the numbers provide anything noteworthy to developers and/or users?

Well, to the developers of the library, definitely: basically, if either
the second or the third field is non zero something is going badly
wrong, because we are breaking binary compatibility with the previous
release - but maybe you already know that.

>Do we care if the numbers don't appear in the test summaries?

I do.