[patch] std::string::operator[] extension in debug mode

Joe Buck Joe.Buck@synopsys.COM
Fri May 20 00:10:00 GMT 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 06:52:05PM -0500, Douglas Gregor wrote, to Gaby:
> Of course I remember. I've reread this comment several times and I
> clearly don't understand what you meant:
>
> 	"If the lib was not build with debug and user wants to use it as with
> debug support, then user is in trouble he/she asked for."
>
> And the point of my response to this comment was that there isn't
> supposed to be any such "trouble", and the point of this thread is that
> there is trouble and we need to fix that.

Agreed; forcing the user (or distros) to build the library twice to
support debug mode is a non-starter.  Getting this right is going to be
tricky, but I disagree that a user who uses a documented feature is
asking for or deserves trouble.