Required binutils version ?

Jonathan Wakely cow@compsoc.man.ac.uk
Tue Jun 21 12:33:00 GMT 2005


On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 03:45:14PM -0500, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

> 
> > Since I'm trying to tidy up all v3's install docs I'd like to know what
> > the minimum required binutils is nowadays.  Does anyone know for sure?
> > (I'm not sure I even understand the binutils version numbers, so I'm not
> > clear at all!)
> 
> The minimum versions of binutils for libstdc++ is now 2.15.90.0.1.1.
> This applies to 4.0.1 and mainline. 
> 
> I would be very greatful if  you could push this info out to the
> appropriate places.
> 
> I don't know about 3.4.x. or 4.0.0. However, 2.14. or greater has been
> required by libstdc++ on linux targets for at least one or two years.

Attached patch updates the libstdc++ install.html file.  I'll prepare
something later for the main GCC install.texi, that indicates that
libstdc++ has its own requirements for binutils so you should check the
libstdc++ docs.

Is this OK for mainline?

jon

-------------- next part --------------
Index: docs/html/install.html
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvs/gcc/gcc/libstdc++-v3/docs/html/install.html,v
retrieving revision 1.31
diff -u -p -r1.31 install.html
--- docs/html/install.html	16 May 2005 10:45:59 -0000	1.31
+++ docs/html/install.html	21 Jun 2005 12:28:59 -0000
@@ -56,17 +56,15 @@
       also lists the tools you will need if you wish to modify the source.
    </p>
 
-   <p>As of June 19, 2000, libstdc++ attempts to use tricky and
-      space-saving features of the GNU toolchain, enabled with
-      <code>-ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -Wl,--gc-sections</code>.
-      To obtain maximum benefit from this, binutils after this date should
-      also be used (bugs were fixed with C++ exception handling related
-      to this change in libstdc++-v3).  The version of these tools should
-      be <code>2.10.90</code>, or later, and you can get snapshots (as
-      well as releases) of binutils
-      <a href="ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/binutils">here</a>. The
-      configure process will automatically detect and use these features
-      if the underlying support is present.
+   <p>As of GCC 4.0.1 the minimum version of binutils required to build
+      libstdc++ is <code>2.15.90.0.1.1</code>. You can get snapshots
+      (as well as releases) of binutils from
+      <a href="ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/binutils">ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/binutils</a>.
+      Older releases of libstdc++ do not require such a recent version,
+      but to take full advantage of useful space-saving features and
+      bug-fixes you should use a recent binutils if possible.
+      The configure process will automatically detect and use these
+      features if the underlying support is present.
    </p>
 
    <p>Finally, a few system-specific requirements: </p>


More information about the Libstdc++ mailing list