PATCH: Eliminate uses of "sleep" in V3 testsuite

Mark Mitchell mark@codesourcery.com
Wed Jan 5 16:16:00 GMT 2005

Jonathan Wakely wrote:

> But if there's a fifo with no reader, could open(name, O_WRONLY) block,
> so we don't even get to the seek?

Yes.

As I asid in my earlier posting, the child process used to be necessary,
before Zack added the "ios_base::in" flag to the parent's call to
fbuf.open.  However, without that flag, V3 calls "open" with "O_WRONLY |
O_TRUNC" which the HP-UX kernel does not accept on a FIFO.

> As Mark said, using a pipe would avoid these peculiarities of fifos, and
> the child would be redundant.

The child is redundant anyhow; the parent opens the FIFO for reading and
writing simultaneously.  As Paolo and I have agreed on that, I've
checked in the attached patch, which should eliminate the timeouts.

As you and I agree, we could modify this test to use a pipe, rather than
a FIFO, but I'm not about to undertake that project.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC