[patch] Preprocessorised tr1::tuple

Chris Jefferson caj@cs.york.ac.uk
Sun Feb 27 00:47:00 GMT 2005


Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

>Douglas Gregor <doug.gregor@gmail.com> writes:
>
>| I think pulling in something like the Boost.Preprocessor library would
>| be overkill for this... 
>
>Please, please, let's resist the temptation.  Ideally, we should reduce the
>number of macro usage close to zero. 
>
>  
>
Having implemented tuple in 3 ways now (from a C program, stupid macros 
and a macro preprocessor library), I agree that the number of macros 
should be kept as small as possible, but I'm not positive what is the 
best method of avoiding them... I quite like the system of generating 
the headers from a C program, although it would probably involve a 
neater looking program than the one I wrote, and also build support.

My personal argument against macros is mainly that any kind of 
macro-based system is probably going to confuse debuggers somewhat, and 
there has been more than one occasion I've wanted to trace into library 
code.

I'm happy to aid implementation under whatever method is decided, but 
this is one area where various high-ups are going to have a make a 
decision I think :)

Chris

>-- Gaby
>  
>



More information about the Libstdc++ mailing list