C++ PATCH: Disallow floating-point literals in integral-constant expressions

Andreas Jaeger aj@suse.de
Tue Feb 1 05:50:00 GMT 2005

Mike Stump <mrs@apple.com> writes:

> On Jan 31, 2005, at 5:02 PM, Mark Mitchell wrote:
>> The standard says that floating-point literals are only allowed in
>> integral constant expressions if they are immediately cast to an
>> integral or enumeration type.  When I implemented checks for integral
>> constant-expressions, I failed to check this case.  Remedied with the
>> attached patch.
>
> If users have this in their code, then this can be seen as a removal of
> a feature by them.  In that case, we should warn about it for a
> release, then make it an error, or put it under -fpermissive.
>
> It'll take us around 3 months to notice if this is so used.  I'm hoping
> that other people make just know, or can run a world build against
> their favorite large source base (100+ M lines).

I run regularly builds of all of our 3000+ packages with current GCC
CVS already - and report problems.  So, expect to hear something soon
From Michael, Paolo or myself on this - if you add some messages that
I can easily grep for,

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, aj@suse.de, http://www.suse.de/~aj
  SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany