C++ PATCH: Disallow floating-point literals in integral-constant expressions

Marcin Dalecki martin@dalecki.de
Tue Feb 1 02:18:00 GMT 2005

On 2005-02-01, at 02:55, Mike Stump wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2005, at 5:43 PM, Marcin Dalecki wrote:
>> Thus the proposed exercise seems a bit futile.
>
> Forgive my ignorance, how many users do you represent?
Of course one. I tend to always speak for myself and not for my
special friend ;-).

But since you started this kind of "decision based on user polling"
argument, I just wanted to point you at the logical flaw behind it:
In C++ average programmers frequently use "features of the compiler"
without intention of doing so. You can't imagine how many people out
there just edit the code until the compiler let's it pass... Catching
those most likely bugs doesn't hurt.

> Life is so much easier without those pesky users.  :-)

I disagree. Without users most of software development would be nothing
more then just mental onanism.