target-specific contents for libstdc++: how to? [with actual patch!]

Geoffrey Keating geoffk@apple.com
Thu Aug 25 22:04:00 GMT 2005


On 25/08/2005, at 3:00 PM, Paolo Carlini wrote:

> Hi,
>
>
>> It looks like other similar compatibility stuff goes in
>> src/compatibility.cc.  Is that right?  More generally, is this patch
>> right?  (The ugly bit is at the end.)  If not right, how should this
>> be done?
>>
>>
> Benjamin and Jakub introduced compatibility.cc to fix an annoying
> problem and in my opinion are the most qualified people to answer your
> question.
>
> My personal point of view is that that file has been introduced for a
> *very specific* reason (maybe not fully transparent from the name),  
> that
> is, exploit the alias extension in order to export some new symbols,
> already exported (by mistake) as @GLIBCXX_3.4, also, correctly, as
> @GLIBCXX_3.4.5. I think we all want to keep this generic file as small
> as possible, in preparation for the eventual complete elimination.
> Therefore, I would definitely encourage you to localize the
> darwin-specific additions in the darwin-specific files.

I did think of that (several times), but automake requires that you  
tell it about all the source files you plan to use in advance, so  
there's no way to just say "on Darwin, please compile this file too",  
or at least I haven't thought of one.  If it was possible, that would  
be what I would like to do; have a config/.../darwin/eprintf.cc file.

I could, though, very easily make a 'src/darwin.cc' file, or similar.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/pkcs7-signature
Size: 2408 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/libstdc++/attachments/20050825/d132044d/attachment.p7s>


More information about the Libstdc++ mailing list