libstdc++ support for eCos

Øyvind Harboe oyvind.harboe@zylin.com
Thu Sep 30 09:57:00 GMT 2004

I'm trying to compile GCC 3.4.2 w/multithreaded exceptions support for
eCos.

Progress isn't too bad, I can build and run eCos applications
using my GCC 3.4.2 toolchain.

At this point I'm tracking down various crashes. Some are things that
need to be fixed in eCos, others are probably just due to me not
building GCC 3.4.2 + libstdc++ correctly.

http://www.zylin.com/libstdc++.html

However, I'd like to understand better how I properly configure GCC.

- eCos has a POSIX threads compatibility layer
- eCos uses a --with-newlib toolchain, but I'm not entirely clear on how
eCos and newlib fits together
- When I compile with the options below, GCC fails because it isn't able
to find the eCos include files where the POSIX threads compatiblity
layer is defined. My horrible workaround is to manually modify the
generated Makefile's to prepend the include path to the eCos include
files. This is how I ended up with the CygWin arm-elf toolchain binaries
on the web-site.

Whats the correct thing to do here?

If I could get just a few pointers in the right direction to unstuck me,
it would be greatly appreciated!

../../src/gcc-3.4.2/configure  --target=arm-elf
--prefix=`pwd`/../gnutools2 --enable-languages=c,c++ --with-gnu-as
--with-gnu-ld --with-newlib
--with-gxx-include-dir=`pwd`/../gnutools2/arm-elf/include
--enable-sjlj-exceptions --enable-libstdcxx-allocator=malloc
--enable-cstdio=stdio --disable-shared --enable-threads=posix

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com