File Stream Open Problem with g++ 3.3.3 and libstdc++.so.5

Loren James Rittle rittle@latour.rsch.comm.mot.com
Tue Mar 30 22:52:00 GMT 2004

> This problem occurs only when I compile my code with
> g++ 3.3.3 and libstdc++.so.5.

FYI, I can't see this problem with your code as compiled on
i386-unknown-freebsd4.9 with FSF gcc 3.3.3 or (pending release) 3.4.0.
Thus, there might be a per-system or per-user-environment (more
likely) or per-platform (less likely, IMHO) issue at play here.

If I artificially set the descriptor limit of my shell down below
1003, then I see your test fail as you report.

It is possible (i.e. I'm fairly sure) that the v2 library used a
different API to obtain FDs from the kernel than the v3.  Is it
possible that libc on your platform is enforcing this limit of ~255 FDs?

What is the exact triple (and vendor, if reported as e.g. generic linux)?

Regards,
Loren