[Patch] My proposal for _Alloc_traits-free rope

Phil Edwards phil@codesourcery.com
Sat Jan 10 15:32:00 GMT 2004

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 06:40:27PM -0600, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

> >>Well, perhaps, 'rope' isn't really used that much these days and we had
> >>better
> >>spending our time elsewhere...
> >
> >I wonder about this too. It seems to be the single-biggest user of
> >deprecated bits. Should we just kill it?
>
> Any thoughts on this? The more I think about it, the more I think rope should go.

If basic_string performs comparably well on huge data, then I completely
agree.

If basic_string performs only tolerably well on huge data, then I still
mostly agree.  Everyone knows it's an extension by now; portable users
don't use it.

Suggest we deprecate the whole thing for 3.4 (along with slist?  hmmm)
and kill it in 3.5.

Phil

--
"What attribute do you consider most valuable to the politician?"
"To be able to raise a cause which shall produce an effect, and