V3 Testsuite PATCH: Disable tests on newlib

Mark Mitchell mark@codesourcery.com
Thu Jan 8 02:12:00 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 19:55, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
> >Benjamin, I think the V3 testsuite needs a better way of dealing with
> >this situation.  If using mkfifo is essential, then something should
> >be done on the DejaGNU side of the testsuite to make it possible to
> >XFAIL these tests on targets that do not have mkfifo.  Or, if I am
> >simply missing the right incantation, I should discover it. :-)
>
> I agree, something should be done.
>
> I'd rather model this on the way that named locale support was done than
> as with your patch, however.
>
> Ie, make a function, use it instead of mkfifo in the test,  and if a
> particular target can't hack it, just exit silently. I'd rather exit and
> mark the test as unsupported, but I cannot figure out how to do that,
> however.

It's different from locales in that it's a compile-time problem, not a
run-time problem.   We'd have to do:

  try_mkfifo (...) {
   #ifdef _NEWLIB
    exit(0);
   #else
    return mkfifo (...);
  }

Is that what you want?

Also, is this really a sound testing methodology?  You're suggesting
that tests *pass* even when they are (essentially) not being run.  That
seems wrong; the ideal thing would be to mark them UNTESTED.  XFAIL, as
I have suggested, seems like less of a lie than PASS.

--
Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>
CodeSourcery, LLC