./libstdc++-v3/include/bits/stl_alloc.h : Incompatibility between g++ 3.3 and g++ 3.2?

Martin Beaudoin beaudoin.martin@ireq.ca
Fri Sep 5 16:39:00 GMT 2003


Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

>>Now, as for my incompatibilitiy problem (stl_alloc.h is not downward 
>>compatible from g++ 3.3 to g++ 3.2), the only solution I can see is that 
>>I need to standardize my development Linux stations over one and only 
>>one g++ compiler version. 
>>    
>>
>
>You are confused. There is only upward compatibility, ie 3.2 links with
>-> 3.3, not the other way around. Thus, if you are compiling with 3.3,
>you'll need to link to 3.3. If you compile with 3.2.x, you'll be able to
>link with 3.2.x or 3.3.x.
>
>I believe Andreas answered this question also, indicating that it should
>go in our docs. I'll work on updating them over the weekend.
>
>-benjamin
>  
>
I am not confused.

The common understanding about GNU version numbering scheme is that 
compatibility should be preserved between minor version releases and 
that  incompatibilities are usually introduced and/or expected between 
major versions release (gcc 2.x and gcc 3.x).

I will also refer you to the "The Linux GCC HOWTO", section "Building 
your own libraries", subsection "Version control".  

Excerpt from this subsection:

"So, we introduce library versioning. We categorise the changes that 
might be made to a library as `minor' or `major', and we rule that a 
`minor' change is not allowed to break old programs that are using the 
library."

Why cant the libstdc++ dev. team follow this simple and well known rule too?

If this is not the case for the GCC and/or libstdc++ development team, 
then both the GCC and libstdc++ version numbering scheme should be 
explained and written in bold characters somewhere  in the FAQ or docs 
so that the "confusion" could be shared and known by everybody.

Martin



-- 
Martin Beaudoin, M.Sc.A., ing.             beaudoin.martin@ireq.ca
Chercheur
Institut de recherche d'Hydro-Quebec(IREQ)
Analyse et gestion de reseaux
1800 boul. Lionel Boulet                       tel: (450) 652-8235
Varennes (Quebec) J3X 1S1 Canada               fax: (450) 652-8309




More information about the Libstdc++ mailing list