[libstdc++ PATCH/RFC] Aggressive space optimization for std::vector

Gerald Pfeifer gerald@pfeifer.com
Tue Jul 29 13:15:00 GMT 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> I guess this space optimization may have some impact on code
> efficiency (optimization for something else than space).  Did you make
> any measurements? I'm worried because GCC currently tends not to
> inline even simple accessor [...]

I am extremely worried as well.  I know that's not easy, but changes like
this never should be applied  without a decent amount of performance
testing.

Before someone approves/installs this patch, would you mind sending me
an updated version, Doug, so that I can perform experiments using real-
world code?

(If you prefer, I can also provide that code and the benchmark suite
privately; both are easy to use and portable and that might make a lot
of sense.)

Gerald