Getting Apple's libstdc++ debug mode into the FSF tree

Nathan Myers ncm-nospam@cantrip.org
Wed Jul 16 20:18:00 GMT 2003

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 02:53:30PM -0500, B. Kosnik wrote:

> This is an outstanding idea! I'm actually in favor of concept checking
> being on by default for the debug library. It would be nice to integrate
> the concept checking into the debug library. Maybe we should ask Phil
> about this, and see what he thinks: I'm not quite sure it needs a
> separate flag.

I'm in favor of concept checking being on by default, period.  It should
take a special effort to turn it off.   The only reason I know ever to
turn it off is to be able to compile buggy code that another compiler
failed to flag.  It doesn't affect execution time, or code generation,
although in principle it could improve code generation given a smarter
optimizer.

What is the policy for the core language as regards accepting known-bad
constructs?

Nathan Myers
ncm-nospam@cantrip.org