Troubles with current 3.3 and 21_strings/ctor_copy_dtor.cc

Phil Edwards phil@jaj.com
Wed Jul 16 19:14:00 GMT 2003

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 07:48:47PM +0200, Paolo Carlini wrote:
> I wanted to apply the fix for 11528 to the branch too and I noticed that
> the unpatched sources behave *very* strangely for me on this testcase:
> all the physical memory is used and the system becomes unusable.
> Probably, after a while it would crash, but I managed to stop 'make
> check' with CTRL-C.

Oh, this brings back memories.  Lots of memories.  Not good ones, either.
(Do a search in the older archives for "ctor_copy_dtor".)

At a guess, the call to __gnu_cxx_test::set_memory_limits() in that file is
not taking effect, for any of various reasons.  Then one of the tests tries
to build a string (maxsize-1) characters long, and the system obligingly
attempts to hand over a few gigs of free store.

Phil