status and priorities
Loren James Rittle
rittle@latour.rsch.comm.mot.com
Tue Jul 15 23:09:00 GMT 2003
Hello fellow libstdc++-v3 maintainers and other readers,
> First, I'm pleased to report that many of these items have already been
> done! The progress has been fast and furious, and I think everybody can
> be truly pleased with the progress. A lot of hard work by many people
> has made a noticeable improvement. Some issues remain, however.
I too am extremely pleased with the rate of progress I've seen. From
past history, I estimate that Benjamin will install the patch to build
the shared libstdc++ with IMI-enabled within 48-hours of the C++
compiler actually supporting it (granted, this will require us to
finally remove use of libtool). And, Paolo is on course to have more
changelog entries than all others this year. ;-)
> - look ahead for unbuffered io, so know when multiple putc's can be
> coalesced.
Does anyone know how to do this? I think I'd know how this could be
done in general CS terms but not with a standard C++ compiler...
General example: If you see A then B back-to-back (or, more generally,
without C in between) then remove both A and B (if we are talking
about mutex locking analysis and optimization) or merge A and B by
using replacement text/call D (if we are talking about OS call
batching). How do I write these rules in plain C++ and/or g++ with
extensions? Or, are you talking about arranging to optimize:
std::cout << "a=" << a << ',' << "b=" << b << std::end;
> - generic named facets work (Loren were you working on this?)
I think I got it working well enough for FreeBSD 5 needs; then got
sidetracked with a semi-general framework for supporting
target-specific flags/macros and the FreeBSD-specific bits.
If I have any time, then I'd be more inclined to work on the
performance and interactive test suite framework that you (Benjamin)
started. I have some patches in my tree but they aren't ready for
public posting. I have no idea when they will be done.
Regards,
Loren
More information about the Libstdc++
mailing list