[PATCH] libstdc++/8761 and libstdc++/7076

Nathan Myers ncm-nospam@cantrip.org
Sun Jan 12 06:24:00 GMT 2003


On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 12:00:42PM -0500, Jerry Quinn wrote:
> I can actually ditch _S_pword_ix, as long as it is OK to reserve the
> pword(0) slot of ios_base as I've done in this patch.  Do you want a
> comment in ios_base indicating this?  If someone else tries to use
> slot 0, they may be in for some pain :-)

The first few slots were reserved specifically for uses like this.
I may have been extravagant or greedy -- two might serve as well as 
five, and there's no reason you couldn't change the reserve-count 
in any release; it doesn't affect the ABI.  Five slots seemed like
the most arbitrary smallish number sufficient to help provoke their 
use.  Do comment it.  

Slot 1 might be used for some kind of multi-thread purpose.  I have 
no clue what any other reserved slots might someday be used for, if 
anything.

Nathan Myers
ncm-nospam@cantrip.org



More information about the Libstdc++ mailing list