streambuf performance 200x

Martin Sebor sebor@roguewave.com
Thu Feb 13 22:37:00 GMT 2003

Nathan Myers wrote:

> My reading of D.7.* is that freezing the buffer does not cause
> sputc calls to fail in any case.  I think all the text describing
> streambuf derivatives was composed carefully on the assumption
> that sputc must be implementable as described above.

What about D.7.1, p2, bullet 4:

     frozen, set when the program has requested that the array object
     not be altered, reallocated, or freed.

Despite this, though, the Classic Iostream implementation on both
HP-UX and SunOS allows frozen buffers to be altered via calls to
sputc(). Is the text in D.7.1, p2 wrong or am I missing something?

Martin