ABI baselines, --enable-clocale choices, and that AC_TRY_RUN test

Phil Edwards phil@jaj.com
Thu Sep 12 14:01:00 GMT 2002

This is a brief plea for help.

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 02:39:54PM -0400, I wrote:
> Turns out that my system, for some reason, is failing the check in
> GLIBCPP_ENABLE_CLOCALE:
>
>   dnl Probe for locale support if no specific model is specified.
>   dnl Default to "generic"
>   [...]
>         # Test for bugs early in glibc-2.2.x series
>         if test x$enable_clocale_flag = xgnu; then
>           AC_TRY_RUN([
>           [...]
>           ],
>           [enable_clocale_flag=gnu],[enable_clocale_flag=generic],
>           [enable_clocale_flag=generic])
>
> Don't know what the bug is, but if I try it manually, the executable
> segfaults.  So, "generic" it is.
[...]
> (I'm trying a build now on another system that should be able to support
> --enable-clocale=gnu, if it works I'll test the baseline stuff there first.)

The build failed in the same manner:  glibc 2.2.5 is installed, but this
test fails with a segfault.  The german locale is installed on both systems.

Is there a particular fix in the glibc changelog that allows this test
to pass, and would allow me to use enable-clocale=gnu?  With a changelog
entry to look for, I can investigate whether the glibc here should be
able to handle the test (and something else is breaking), or whether I'm
genuinely stuck with clocale=generic.

Thanks for any tips,

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002