RFC --enable-debugging

Phil Edwards phil@jaj.com
Thu Oct 31 19:46:00 GMT 2002

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 03:11:39AM +0100, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Benjamin Kosnik <bkoz@redhat.com> writes:
>
> | ...builds libstdc++.so twice. Once as-is, once for debugging. Debugging
> | options can include CXXFLAGS="-g -O0", perhaps a change to use
> | malloc-alloc allocators, and perhaps --enable-concept-checks.
> |
> | Installed in $prefix/lib/debug/
> |
> | Thoughts?
>
> How does a naive user (me) easily tell the compiler to look at the
> "right" place without having to experience unspeakable headache? :-)

Debian already does this.  Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to search /usr/lib/debug
before searching the usual places will pick up (among other things)
a version of libstdc++.so with debugging symbols included.

I don't know if they build that version with any other switches besides -g.

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002