Anyone got irix5? I have questions about your ctype implementation

Kaveh R. Ghazi ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu
Tue May 7 17:17:00 GMT 2002

 > From: Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@redhat.com>
 >
 > On May  7, 2002, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@redhat.com> wrote:
 >
 > > Never mind.  I've just duplicated it with a full bootstrap.  Something
 > > is polluting mabi=64/config.cache with an incorrect setting of LD.
 > > Either libf2c or libstdc++-v3.  I'm looking into it.
 >
 > Ok, any libtool library would do it, due to an ill effect of (some)
 > shells.
 >
 > My understanding is that, if an exported variable is modified in a
 > shell script, the modified value is not supposed to be automatically
 > re-exported.  It should be kept private to the script.
 >
 > It appears that IRIX's /bin/sh doesn't agree with my understanding, so
 > this work around was necessary.  Ideally, libtool shouldn't mess up
 > with LD, but I'd rather not touch this at this point.

Huh?  Never heard of that rule.  I routinely bootstrap with
CONFIG_SHELL of /bin/ksh or /bin/bash anyway so unless they all share
the bug, I think you may be mistaken.  Consider this:

---file foo---------------------
#!/bin/bash
export VAR=xxx
VAR=yyy
./bar
#!/bin/bash
echo $VAR

what should running "foo" output?  Under bash-2.03, I get "yyy".

		--Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			Director of Systems Architecture
ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu		Qwest Global Services