.gif files aren't allowed

Damour, James A James.Damour@DFA.STATE.NY.US
Thu May 2 13:32:00 GMT 2002

AHH!!  But MNG files *do* support animation (in fact, they're brought to you
by the PNG people).  Thus, your IOStream dreams may yet come to fruition.

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Edwards [mailto:phil@jaj.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 6:09 PM
To: Joe Buck
Cc: libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org; pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at
Subject: Re: .gif files aren't allowed

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 02:55:28PM -0700, Joe Buck wrote:
> Thanks.  Please go ahead and generate the 3.1 documentation now.  It'll be
> current soon enough.  Had we (the SC) known that the Doxygen pages
> contained GIFs, we would have asked you to yank them much earlier.  We had
> an ironclad no-GIFs rule even before the egcs/gcc remerger.

The GIF sort of thing never would have occured to me.  A recent version
of Doxygen changed from producing GIFs to PNGs at the request of RMS,
so this issue shouldn't arise again (for doxygen).

> The LZW patent expires June 20, 2003, so possibly we could use GIFs after
> that date.  But then, the only things GIFs give you that PNG doesn't is
> animation, so there's little other reason to bother with them.

So much for the plan of animated IOstream documentation.  :-)

Phil

than the animating contest for freedom, go home and leave us in peace.  We
seek
not your counsel, nor your arms.  Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds
you;
and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.            - Samuel
Adams