gcc-3.2 libstdc++ patches

Jason Merrill jason@redhat.com
Fri Jul 26 03:04:00 GMT 2002

>> > PR libstdc++/7286 (placement delete)
>> > http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2002-07/msg01432.html
>>
>> IMO, these are totally useless.  They do nothing and are not
>> replaceable. Why are they in the standard?

> I don't know. The point was that they are "in the standard," not "why
> are they in the standard."

I suppose so.  It's just that they create an additional exception cleanup
for new(ptr) expressions for no reason at all.  I've harbored thoughts of
raising the issue with the library WG, but have never gotten around to it.

Hmm.  Perhaps the purpose was to avoid calling some other placement delete
by mistake.

Ah, well.  I suppose the compiler could recognize their uselessness and
avoid the cleanup.

> I thought it best to add exported symbols (see preliminary library ABI
> docs) while it was still possible.

Yep.

Jason