Some details on the named locale problem

Ulrich Drepper drepper@redhat.com
Mon Jan 28 16:00:00 GMT 2002

Paolo Carlini <pcarlini@unitus.it> writes:

> One final (minor) question: do you think we should check or not in
> testsuite for a '\0' as the thousands separator of locales such as
> it_IT and fr_FR ?

You mean check whether the C locale reports "" as the thousand
separator string for it_IT etc?  This would be none of the libstdc++
test suite's business.  Besides, nobody prevents someone from changing
the locale.  The definitions you can normally find in the libc are
those which are commonly accepted.  This does not mean there are local
variations.  The whole locale concept is based on the idea of making
adoption easy.