Extensionless headers

Jonathan Wakely cow@compsoc.man.ac.uk
Fri Jan 11 07:10:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 06:54:28AM +0100, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> Please, note also the .h extension is intepreted as indicating a C file
> header nott a C++ one, the previous scheme was not using the expected
> extension and confuses Editors for example.

I know my favourite editor interprets .h files as C++ headers.
I assume it does this because the C++ syntax rules include all the C ones,
so the worst that will happen is that C++ keywords that aren't reserved
names in C will be highlighted (e.g. variables named "new")

I don't know whether this is a widespread practice though.

--
"Those who don't understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it, poorly."
    - Henry Spencer