dec-2001 libstdc++ outstanding

Paolo Carlini pcarlini@unitus.it
Mon Jan 7 11:51:00 GMT 2002

Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

> I missed another one:
>
> 2001-12-16
>         reference counted std::basic_string: even 'const' operations may unshare!
>         http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/libstdc++/2001-12/msg00267.html

That's interesting... and also very difficuly for me to understand in the gory
details... What I have done so far is browsing the various replies on
comp.lang.c++.moderated: it *seems* that James Kanze offered decisive arguments to
the effect that reference-counted strings are not doomed! ;-)

Seriously, I got the impression that everything boils down to the need of a
rewording in the standard...

Nathan??

Cheers,
Paolo.

P.S. I'm thoroughly testing that last change to basic_string I would like to have
accepted before 3.1, which reworks replace members consistently to the current
append/assign/insert members.