GCC-3.0.4 (pre) on AIX requires pthreads

David Edelsohn dje@watson.ibm.com
Wed Feb 20 14:52:00 GMT 2002

> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/libstdc++/2001-05/msg00048.html

Phil> Okay.  Here's the message where you suggest what has since been implemented.

	I actually presented two options.  One is the option currently
implemented which is causing problems.

Phil> So, we just need to turn a command-line option into -D_THREAD_SAFE?  Okay,
Phil> that's already being done...

	One solution is to turn _THREAD_SAFE or a comandline option into
an effect on gthr.h.  The GCC specs already turn the commandline option
into -D_THREAD_SAFE which gthr-aix.h uses (as well as AIX headers).

Phil> ...ah!  The actual problem!

	If you read the archive, the original problem was not the lack of
installed header files, it was libstdc++ not recognizing a thread model of
'aix'.  libstdc++ configure has since been modified so it does not care
about the actual thread model names, but simply wants to install a file
named gthr-$thread_target_headers.h.  This revised configuration will work
with AIX except for the multiple, implicitly-referenced header files which
need to be installed.

Phil> Are you saying that this would all be solved by:

Phil> 1)  Making 'aix' the displayed thread model, and
Phil> 2)  Installing more headers?

	Yes.  The two possibilities that I see are:

	A) Your two steps above.

OR

	B) Teach gthr.h to recognize _THREAD_SAFE.

Thanks, David