GCC-3.0.4 (pre) on AIX requires pthreads

Phil Edwards phil@jaj.com
Wed Feb 20 13:38:00 GMT 2002

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 04:15:58PM -0500, David Edelsohn wrote:
> --enable-threads=aix is
> already done implicitly.  Period.  End of that discussion.  Go read the
> source if you disagree.

Perhaps you should also read the source.  Here is what libstdc++ does:

    AC_DEFUN(GLIBCPP_ENABLE_THREADS, [
      AC_MSG_CHECKING([for thread model used by GCC])
      target_thread_file=`$CC -v 2>&1 | sed -n 's/^Thread model: //p'`
      AC_MSG_RESULT([$target_thread_file])

      if test $target_thread_file != single; then
        AC_DEFINE(HAVE_GTHR_DEFAULT)
        AC_DEFINE(_GLIBCPP_SUPPORTS_WEAK, __GXX_WEAK__)
      fi

      glibcpp_thread_h=gthr-$target_thread_file.h
      AC_SUBST(glibcpp_thread_h)
    ])

That's it.  No pthread/posix checks.  That's all the knowledge that libstdc++
has of threads:  whatever the threading model is reported to be by xgcc.

> #define THREAD_MODEL_SPEC "%{pthread:posix}%{!pthread:single}"

Well, I'm no expert, but that would seem to be the problem.  My
specs-to-English is rusty, but doesn't this mean "if -pthread isn't given,
assume single"?  Should it not be doing some kind of check on whether or
not to print "aix"?

Phil