./map_insert.exe: relocation error: ./map_insert.exe: undefined symbol: _ZSt14_S_rb_tree_red

Fri Feb 15 08:23:00 GMT 2002

In the last few days, the error that is the subject of this mail started
appearing under hppa-linux running the libstdc++ testsuite.  It occurs
several times.  At first I thought it was caused by changes I was testing
in the binutils package for hppa64-hp-hpux11 and hppa-linux.  However,
I backed these changes out last night and the error is still present.

_S_rb_tree_red is a readonly symbol.  I note that Benjamin Kosnik made
this symbol external on 2002-02-11.

If I link map_operators as a static program, I don't get a relocation
error.  However, the program seg faults the first time it attempts
to reference the data referred to by the symbol.  Looking, at the code
and the address of the symbol in the object, I see that the address
for it has been incorrectly calculated.

There seems to be something special wrt this particular symbol as I
haven't seen the same problem with other symbols in the .rodata section.
I am guessing that there is something strange with respect to this one
and a number of of v3 symbols because they are listed in config/linker-map.gnu
under the "######## hmmmmm, the rediculous hacks section....".

Thoughts?

Dave