Irix6 long doubles implemented wrong? (27_io/ostream_inserter_arith)

Rainer Orth ro@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Mon Dec 16 09:09:00 GMT 2002

Kaveh R. Ghazi writes:

> As you can see, gcc's sizeof (long double) doesn't agree with that
> from the system compiler and I would assume therefore that gcc also
> disagrees with libc's notion of long double.  This means that the %Lf
> specifier is hosed and cannot be used from gcc on irix6.
>
> I believe this is the cause of the 27_io/ostream_inserter_arith.cc
> failures we've been getting on irix6.
>
> See also http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2001-08/msg00088.html which
> apears to be the same issue.

It is.  The following comment from config/mips/abi64.h (lost when the
definitions from that file were merged into mips.h) still applies:

/* ??? Unimplemented stuff follows.  */

/* ??? Add support for 16 byte/128 bit long doubles here when
   mips_abi != ABI32.  */

> Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  (Or better yet a fix?)

I didn't have much time to work on gcc lately, but David Edelsohn's support
or 128-bit long doubles in AIX (implemented as a pair of 64-bit doubles)
applies to IRIX 6 long doubles as well, since both platforms use the same
format as documented in math(3M).

	Rainer