wstring in 3.0.4

Mads mki@maconomy.dk
Thu Apr 18 10:30:00 GMT 2002

Hello,

I'm testing gcc 3.0.4 on RedHat Linux 6.2, AIX 4.3.3 and Solaris 2.7.

On all platforms I've successfully boostrap-build and installed gcc,
configured with --prefix as the only option.

On all platforms I have problems with wstring support. From the headerfiles
I can see that _GLIBCPP_USE_WCHAR_T must be defined to enable wchar_t and
thus wstring. Even then it doesn't work well; some "using ::*w*" lines has
to be removed from some headerfiles - and then it seems to work.

But ... What is the status of wstring? Is it expected to work in the version
supplied with gcc 3.0.4? According to
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/17_intro/BUGS "- wide strings have
not been tested, and may therefore be unusable.", but that note seems quite
old.

TIA,
Mads