questions about building Boost

Janis Johnson janis187@us.ibm.com
Fri Apr 5 12:57:00 GMT 2002

I've got several questions about building and testing Boost, and
Benjamin Kosnik recommended that I ask them in this mailing list.  I'm
building Boost as part of GCC 3.1 integration testing on ia64-linux and
am also writing up the "Boost build and test guide" to go in
gcc-3.1/testing-boost.html.  I've appended the current version and would
greatly appreciate corrections before I submit it.

So, the questions:

  Is there a way to turn off building the Python support?  I don't have
  Python installed, so that part fails but the rest of the build
  continues.  It would be nice to recognize new unexpected failures with
  the jam0 return status.

  Is there a way to turn off building multithreading support?  The first
  time I tried building was with a GCC not configured for threads and I
  got some build failures because of that.  Since then I've configured
  GCC for thread support, but I'd like to include this information in
  the build and test guide.

  If I want to try a build with optimizations, do those go in the
  status/compiler.cfg file as I say in the build and test guide?

By the way, I get one Boost regression failure on ia64-linux with GCC
3.1: libs/integer/integer_test.cpp.  That also fails with GCC 3.0.4,
along with three other tests.

Janis Johnson
IBM Linux Technology Center