gcc 3.0.1 does not work on Solaris 8/sparc

Alexandre Oliva aoliva@redhat.com
Sun Sep 9 20:38:00 GMT 2001

On Sep  7, 2001, Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com> wrote:

>  Is there a reason against using the simple and portable
>> rm -f somelink
>> ln -s /usr/bin somelink

> Seems reasonable to me.  V3 people, would you look into making this
> change so that the Makefiles are more portable?

Whoever does it, please don't fall prey of basename, which is not
portable; use `echo filename | sed 's,.*/,,'` instead.  And beware the
brain-dead semantics of VPATH with Solaris' make: it will prepend a
VPATH directory to *any* *occurrences* *whatsoever* of a filename that
appears in the dependence list if the filename appears in one of the
VPATH directories, even if the occurrences is not related at all with
$?, $<, etc.  This is even documented in the manual.