Writing to ostreams from operator new.

Loren James Rittle rittle@latour.rsch.comm.mot.com
Wed Oct 10 18:52:00 GMT 2001

In article < 20011010163856.A28514@alinoe.com > you write:

> I am not trying to argue that this must be supported based on the
> standard, but I see no reason not to make these changes.  It would
> greatly help memory allocation debugging libraries for C++ to allow
> I/O from malloc.

> Would there be any objection against these changes?  I am willing to
> write the patch, obviously.

Hi Carlo,

If you write a patch that improves the quality of the implementation
without hurting anything else, then I would tend to believe that your
patch would be acceptable.

I think it is too late for 3.0.3 unless it is a trivial patch.

Regarding exactly what you intend to do, I have no comment until I see
a patch.  I admit that I am a little bit skeptical of any approach
that bypasses a critical region lock.  It would seem to be better to
just force the use of a different allocator (i.e. the one that maps
directly to plain malloc instead of using the default high-speed pool)
instead of changing the internal implementation of one.

I promise to look closely at any patch you develop and make a
recommendation to those with final approval rights.

Regards,
Loren
--
Loren J. Rittle
Senior Staff Software Engineer, Distributed Object Technology Lab