v3 testsuite failures under hpux--setlocale dependency on libdld.sl

Tue May 22 15:15:00 GMT 2001

> > No, I don't think that is a good solution.  You only want the above when
> > you need setlocale.  It wouldn't allow building a static C++ application
> > under HPUX.
>
> When do you not need setlocale?

When you don't include bits/std_clocale.h or use anything from the locale.o
module.  I really don't know the details of the internal use in the
library but there is only one function locale::global that uses it.

> Why would this prohibit building a static c++ application?

Because, when you link with a shared library the application then depends
on that library and isn't static.  You can't remove or move the library.
There can be version problems with respect to the library, etc.  Unfortunately,
shl_load and friends only reside in a shared library, likely because they
need startup resources that are only available when the application is linked
as a shared executable.

> isn't If end users of g++/libstdc++ on HPUX are going to get this error message
> everytime they try to use cout, then perhaps this should be taken care of
> further up the food chain...

I doubt this is the case.  The entire g++ testsuite runs without hitting
this problem.

Dave