rel_ops issues

Phil Edwards pedwards@disaster.jaj.com
Thu Mar 29 20:15:00 GMT 2001

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 10:57:27AM +0200, Theodore Papadopoulo wrote:
> By the way, I always thought that the headers like
> map.h and friends were mandated by the standard with the meaning of

No, they aren't.  Only the C headers are required to do that.  Since there
has never been a previous C++ standard, those headers do not need to be
treated the same as the C headers.

Personally, I don't care /too/ much about supporting pre-standard STL usage.
Things not in the STL that were used much more heavily, such as iostream.h,
we have to be more careful about.

> I cannot find this in the standard ???
> Is this still true ?
> If no, shouldn't these headers be moved to the ext (or other)
> directory.

They are in the backward subdirectory, for backwards compatability.
And originally they were installed there too, but were changed to be in
the main include directory for easier backwards compatability.

I believe that, whatever the good reasons for more support of rel_ops may
be, kicking along things like map.h isn't one of them.

Phil