bad gcc/libstdc++-v3 build on Solaris 7

Stephen Webb stephen.webb@cybersafe.com
Mon Mar 5 06:32:00 GMT 2001

On Mon, 05 Mar 2001, Nathan Myers wrote:
> I am trying to build Sunday's CVS gcc-3.1 on Solaris 7.
>
> Configuring with
>
>   $ ../gcc/configure --with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-binutils \
>   --with-gcc --enable-languages=c,c++ --prefix=/zembu/ncm/gcc3
>
> as had been recommended, I find that the resulting compiler,
> notwithstanding, explicitly calls /usr/ccs/bin/as, ld, etc., regardless
> of their place (or presence!) in $PATH.  Looking around, I find that
> its gcc/specs mentions /usr/ccs frequently.  gcc/config/sparc/sol2.h
> and sol2-sld-64.h both mention /usr/ccs pervasively, and seem to make
> no provision for a GNU binutils alternative.

Yeah, this took me a long time to figure out.  My first success was to
treat a Solaris build like a native cross-compiler (??) by merging the
binutils source into the gcc source and building everything at once. A
whole lot of manual labour.   Then I found the better way.

The configure scripts ignore $PATH when checking for the binutils
tools (at least on Solaris).  They look instead in your --prefix
directory, so the easy workaround is to build and install your binutils
into whatever prefix you're going to install gcc into, and only then run
your gcc configure.

I imagine someone should fix this some day....

On Mon, 05 Mar 2001, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> I don't think 2.10.1 is enought.  I use 2.10.90 on solaris-2.7.

I use 2.10.1 on Solaris 2.6 and 8 without problems.  I was using CVS
binutils but ld kept sig11ing (this was weeks ago). 2.10.1 is Good
Enough.

Stephen M. Webb