Need help to install libstdc++

Felix Natter f.natter@ndh.net
Sat Jun 30 04:03:00 GMT 2001

Roberto Diaz <rdiazmartin@vivaldi.net.dhis.org> writes:

> > Switch to Debian unstable or testing and then install the gcc-3.0 packages
> > including the associated libstdc++ package.  It's already all been built
> > for you (although I think the currently available packages are still from
> > slightly before the release -- I expect that will change shortly).
>
> This is a little bit hard solution.. I would like something softer, does
> somebody here have tryied a "local" instalation of gcc-3.0 libstdc++?

here is my solution:
download the binutils (2.11 or newer), gcc-core and gcc-g++ packages.
Before you start you might want to set CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS to do
some optimization (-O3 and -mcpu=...)
First install binutils with
./configure --prefix=/home/user/gcc3 && make install
then do
export PATH="/home/user/gcc3/bin:$PATH"
and
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/user/gcc3/lib
then install gcc-3.0 with
./configure --prefix=/home/user/gcc3 && make install
Now if you want to use gcc3, do this again:
export PATH="/home/user/gcc3/bin:$PATH"
and
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/user/gcc3/lib
(you also have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH if you want to run a program
compiled with the local gcc-3.0)

> I mean an installation for just one user not the whole system.. what
> version of glibc depends gcc-3.0?

I think you can use any version of glibc (at least debian 2.2's glibc 2.1
works).

--
Felix Natter