PR3042

Mark Mitchell mark@codesourcery.com
Mon Jun 11 09:03:00 GMT 2001

--On Monday, June 11, 2001 06:51:19 AM -0400 Phil Edwards
<pedwards@disaster.jaj.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 03:03:36PM -0700, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
>>
>> >   static int i = 7;
>> >
>> > differently from:
>> >
>> >   static int i;
>>
>> Fiendishly confusing. Please make both of these work in the same manner.
>
> Seconded.  The more I hear about the quirks of AIX linking semantics,

I'm glad you agree as well.  I hope that David will complete his
patch in time for GCC 3.0 so that we do not have to make this change
at this late date.  However, if we can convince Jason, we can perhaps
make this change in GCC 3.1.

You, Benjamin, and Gaby are real C++ programmers (as opposed to me,
who is a K&R C programmer working on a C++ compiler, most of the time),
so it is valuable to hear what you think.

Thanks,