PR3042

Mark Mitchell mark@codesourcery.com
Sat Jun 9 12:29:00 GMT 2001

PR3042 is the issue with static data members in headers that are
getting mishandled on AIX.  What is the current status of this bug?

As I recall, the last known state was:

  - I wanted to remove what I see as inconsistent handling of
    static data members on non-COMDAT platforms in G++.  Then,
    add explicit instantiations in V3.

  - Benjamin agrees with me.

  - Jason wants to do this only on programs with "broken" COMMON
    handling, since he likes the current behavior.

  - David wants to change the AIX linker flags to make the right
    thing happen with AIX COMMON.  (Of course, if there are other
    platforms in the same boat as AIX, this doesn't help them --
    but we don't know of any.)

We need closure.

At this point, I still lean towards my proposal, although I could be
convinced to modify it as per Jason's request, if that was the feeling
of the majority of the C++ gurus on the lists.

Part of the reason I lean towards my proposal is I know how to do it
-- whereas I don't know how to do David's proposal.  If David
implemented his proposal and checked it in and closed the PR, then I
would probably forget that I liked my proposal better, and go on with
life.

So, where are we at?