V3 static data in classes vs AIX

Mark Mitchell mark@codesourcery.com
Mon Jun 4 15:37:00 GMT 2001

    David> 	Instructing all of those application developers to add
    David> explicit instantiations for AIX does not seem like a viable
    David> strategy.  Trying to better mimic GNU/Linux semantics seems
    David> like a better approach.

But we've already made this decision.  (In fact, you and I have talked
about it a few times.)

The current problem you're reporting is just the tip of the iceberg.
There are problems with lots of other C++ constructs using COFF as
well: vtables, inlines, other template issues, typeinfo, etc.

In my opinion, the viable ways to make AIX mimic GNU/Linux are a
template prelinker or a template repository.  We certainly can't do
anything except explicit instantiation in GCC 3.0.  If we could add a
template prelinker before 3.1, that would be very nice, and useful to
GNU/Linux people as well.

The fact is, whether we like it or not, that AIX is a second-class
citizen with respect to G++ and libstdc++.  I, for one, think we
should try hard to fix that -- but for now, that is how it is.