AIX I/O failures

Phil Edwards pedwards@disaster.jaj.com
Thu Jan 25 13:37:00 GMT 2001

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 01:24:34PM -0800, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> The reference approach has a performance cost that the array-of-chars
> appraoch does not.
>
> You now penalize every reference to cout, in that the linker cannot
> resolve the address statically.  In other words, when you say:
[...]
> Right?

Disclaimer:  I am by no means an expert on the i686 architecture.

Well, doing a before-and-after test where this patch was the only difference,
generating assembly for hello-world with no optimization gives me a pair
of 6K files whose only difference...

    96% diff hw_old.s hw_new.s
    23c23
    <       pushl   $_ZSt4cout
    ---
    >       pushl   _ZSt4cout
    97%

...doesn't look like it would cause any performance degredation.  I think.

Phil