AIX I/O failures

Mark Mitchell mark@codesourcery.com
Thu Jan 25 13:10:00 GMT 2001

    >> This is really ugly because, on one hand cin is seen with the
    >> right type and on the other hand as array[] at the code level
    >> -- I wouldn't to debug such a mess.

    Phil> Indeed.  Calling this "opaque" seems too kind.  :-) We can't

Thanks. :-)

    Phil> just handwave around the issue of "need to keep the types
    Phil> separate" -- I believe declaring cin as a char array
    Phil> *anywhere* is going to get us into trouble.

Why?

This is actually a standard technique, endorsed by ISO.  That's what
placement new is for, after all.

That said, as with libtool yesterday, I'm all for whatevery solution
people think is cleanest.

My goal is very simple:

  Get V3 working on AIX.

Nobody else has succeeded in doing this, and few have tried.

If my "opaque" hacks cause people to be sufficiently appalled that
they do something cleaner, and thereby satisfy the goal, I will be not