AIX I/O failures

Phil Edwards pedwards@disaster.jaj.com
Thu Jan 25 12:46:00 GMT 2001

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 09:20:58PM +0100, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> | Gabriel> Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com> writes:
> |
> | Gabriel> |   char cin[sizeof(istream)]
> | Gabriel> |      __attribute__ ((__align (__alignof__ (istream))));
> |
> | Gabriel> Wouldn't then cin get type 'char[]'? Or am I missing something?
> |
> | 	Yes.  I believe that one needs to keep the cin type used in the
> | initializer completely separate from the rest of the code which defines
> | the correct istream type for cin.
>
> This is really ugly because, on one hand cin is seen with the right
> type and on the other hand as array[] at the code level -- I wouldn't
> to debug such a mess.

Indeed.  Calling this "opaque" seems too kind.  :-)  We can't just handwave
around the issue of "need to keep the types separate" -- I believe declaring
cin as a char array *anywhere* is going to get us into trouble.

> Can a conforming program detect the followiing declaration for cin:
>
> 	extern istream& cin;	// can a conforming program detect?
>
> so that we can do
>
> 	char __cin_storage[sizeof(istream)]
> 	     __attribute__ ((__align (__alignof__ (istream))));
>

> 	istream& cin = *(istream*)(&__cin_storage[0]);
>
> Or is that still sufering from the init issue?

I just tested this; it works on linux.  I won't be able to test on solaris
unti later today or tomorrow.  (I don't have an AIX box, of course.)

Changing the type of cin to a reference seems to be not too dangerous.
Got to love that as-if rule.  :-)