-std's (was Re: v3 link failures analyzed)

Gabriel Dos Reis gdr@codesourcery.com
Wed Jan 10 11:00:00 GMT 2001

"Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk> writes:

| On 10 Jan 2001, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
|
| > Thanks.  Now I understand the motivation.  But I still think that
| > there should be an alias for the most recent standard in effect
| > (and understood by the compiler).
|
| Under what circumstances would such an option be useful?

When you just want to compile a program with the most recent
standard without having to keep that of xxx:yyyy.  We shouldn't get
more pendatic than necessary.  It is a practical matter.

[...]

| What counts as "understood by the compiler"?  Does GCC presently
| understand C99 (the -std option is there, but many features are missing)?

If GCC fully understands C99 (for a reasonable definition of "fully")
then it is really intuitive to have -iso synonymous of -std=c99.

-- Gaby
CodeSourcery, LLC                       http://www.codesourcery.com