-std's (was Re: v3 link failures analyzed)

Phil Edwards pedwards@disaster.jaj.com
Tue Jan 9 23:18:00 GMT 2001

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 07:55:19AM +0100, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> | The only thing we can use is -ansi.  Either of the C90/94[*] variants
> | mean that '//' comments aren't recognized.
>
> Maybe we should instrumentalize GCC so as to accept //-comment even
> when looking for C90/C94-compliance.  At some point, that will be
> needed.

If there were an option (I guess this would be in cpplib) to specifically
enable //-comments, we could use "-std=c{89,90} -but-with-//-comments-too".

I think "-//" would a neat command-line switch.  :-)  Maybe -f// or ...

Something else, though:  we need to decide whether we want to use
this when building the library itself, or when running tests for system
characteristics, or both.  This thread originally started off because SCO
OpenServer presents a different set of headers in ANSI mode, so the headers
seen during configuration aren't the same headers seen during building,
or during the testsuite runs.

The // issue bit me when building the library itself.  If we only look
for strict ISO-ness during configure tests, that wouldn't be a problem
(presumably the system headers won't have // scattered around).

Phil