Q. about threads and the STL

Gabriel Dos Reis gdr@codesourcery.com
Mon Aug 20 14:04:00 GMT 2001


Philip Charlton <charlton@ligo.caltech.edu> writes:

[...]

| The problem seems
| to go away when I remove the declaration of the Sequence<float>, which
| makes me wonder if there is a problem with the way memory is allocated for
| it by the STL allocator, although we have definitely configured our gcc
| with --enable-threads=posix and even defined __USE_MALLOC in libstdc++-v3.

For valarray<>, I don't use an STL-like allocator; I just call
operator new/operator delelte. 

| The system I'm running it on has 4 CPU's and Linux 2.4.6 #1 SMP kernel.
| I'm compiling with gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)

I don't have access to multi-processor machines, but if you could give
a try to current release, that would be very helpful.  There are some
differences between the versions in GCC-2.95.3 and GCC-3.0.1.  But I
can't tell whether they affect in some way your problem.
I can't tell from scratch whether it is an internal OS-specific memory
management problem. 

Thanks,

-- Gaby
CodeSourcery, LLC                       http://www.codesourcery.com



More information about the Libstdc++ mailing list